Commentary, reflections and opinions about PR issues that I have found are listed below. For other PR connections check out my other blogs titled: PR Connections- Comment on Shelz & Neville Report & PR Connections (Part 1).
- On PRWeek, I found an Opinion based article explaining a debate on ethics in PR. Though this article came out in 2007 of February, its a great article that I think everyone should look into. The issue that I find questionable is concerning how PR people admit to being dishonest at times. A statement that stood out to me is this, ” The fact that PR people admit they need to lie occasionally is a sign of growing honesty and confidence in what they do.” Weird, huh? In my mind, I am wondering what do they think is right? Do they know the difference between morals and values? Click to read the article called “OPINION: Honesty on display at Ethics Debate” and tell me what you think.
- A website that I came across goes into detail about how the industry can manipulate you through public opinion and guess which one they choose.. Yes, they chose Public Relations as one of the many professions that manipulate public opinions. Click to read more on “How the industry manipulates public opinion.”
- Another issue that many people may not know about is accreditation for public relations professionals. They question why is it that they need to become accredited in order to pursue there career when they have been working in the industry for years. One main reason to become accredited is to help the continuous growth of the industry. Do you believe that its necessary for public relations people? Take a look at the video below and you decide.
Video Titled: Is Public Relations Accreditation Worthwhile?
- I came across a unique blog titled ” Why PR Sucks”. This blog was published by Todd Defern in 2004 from the blogging site PR Squared. A very unusual way to put it but he was very direct and truthful on what he believes why PR Sucks. There are different reasons why but he clearly defines which part in PR sucks. Read and tell me what you think about his blog.
- In looking into public relations issues. I found a presentation concerning some public relations issues. The deception within media comes from the PR firms, who are behind many company scandals; such as Walmart blogs, When AOL apologies for release of user search data and the Myspace glitch that gave hackers teen data. These are all dilemma and issues that PR firms have created. Take a look at this power point. Its short, simple and to the point.
- Another video that I will like to share with you is called “The Most Dangerous Ideas About the Future of Public Relations”. This video from Ad Age in 2004 asked the Advertising Editor Jonah Bloom with a running of only 3 minutes about why he thinks the future of public relations is a dangerous idea. When you listen to what he has to say, he is presenting his opinion and what he believes is about to come. I do not totally agree but it is definitely something to think about when it comes to your future career going into shambles. Take a look and let me know what you think.
- In this article, It states how bad PR forces Apple to reconsider banning a prize-winning satirist. This article was published on April 16, 2010… Yes, its a recent article and it surely explains why Apple wants to reconsider the resubmission of an app made by Mark Fiore. Funny thing about this is why would Apple ask you to resubmit something after banning it? Confused, huh? Here is why: “Because the app satirized public figures in violation of its policies. Fiore did just that Friday morning, even though he says he feels a bit odd about it.” For more details as to why this was Bad PR, read the article here: “Bad PR Forces Apple to Reconsider Banning Prize-Winning Satirist”.
To read more PR connections, go back to the top of my blog and click the links to my other PR Connections. Thanks for reading and feel free to comment.